Diskusjon Triggere Porteføljer Aksjonærlister

Beyond Air (XAIR)

Kunne ikke finne en tråd om Beyond Air (XAIR) som er listet på NASDAQ.

Beyond Air, Inc. is a clinical-stage medical device and biopharmaceutical company. It engages in the developing a nitric oxide generator and delivery system that uses nitric oxide generated from ambient air and delivers precise amounts of nitric oxide to the lungs for the potential treatment of respiratory and other diseases. The firm develops LungFit platform system, a generator and delivery system that produces nitric oxide from ambient air, eliminating the need for expensive and cumbersome cylinders. The company was founded in 2011 and is headquartered in Garden City, NY.

Lite informasjon om selskapet, så tenkte det var noen her inne med dypere innsikt enn det jeg selv klarer å lese meg til.

Trodde ikke det var et emne om dette selskapet her inne på TI, men brått så var det jo det! Det er et av favoritt casene mine, så hadde vært morro å sett hva folk her på Tekinvestor syns. Jeg inkluderer min write-up som jeg gjorde for microcapclub.com tilbake i August 2021. Den er litt utdatert på et par punkter, men stort sett gir den en veldig god introduksjon til selskapet.

The Company

Beyond Air, Inc. (XAIR) is a biopharmaceutical & medical device company focused on the use of Nitric Oxide (NO) to treat respiratory patients. Based out of Garden City, NY, the company went public through a reverse merger in mid 2017. While a lot has happened behind the scenes, there have not been many tangible data driven catalysts to help boost the share price, since the reverse merger. I believe that is about to change.

The company is developing a device named LungFit. LungFit is able to produce Nitric Oxide (NO) from ambient air. In vitro studies suggest that NO possesses anti-microbial activity not only against common bacteria, both gram- positive and gram-negative, but also against other diverse organisms including mycobacteria, fungi, yeast and parasites, and it has the potential to eliminate multi-drug resistant strains.

Current NO devices include large cylinders which makes the logistics less than ideal for hospitals. Once the cylinders are empty, they must be brought to an off-site facility, re-filled, and brought back to the hospitals, or are out right replaced. The cylinder systems are also quite heavy, weighing 175 lbs. In comparison, the LungFit PH device only weighs 38 lbs., and including the cart the whole system weighs in at a mere 78 lbs. Instead of having to re-fill cumbersome tanks, with LungFit PH you only have to change the smart filters, which come in a small pack, and weigh about 2.5 oz. In addition, while current NO systems (cylinders) can only produce NO reliably at 20PPM, LungFit can produce NO at high concentrations, 250PPM+.

This results in several advantages for the hospital: improved operating economics, no significant capital investment, no burdensome inventory and storage requirements, and reduced risk of NO2 exposure, just to mention a few.

The company is targeting several indication; Persistent Pulmonary Hypertension of the Newborn (PPHN) & cardiac surgery, acute viral pneumonia (including COVID-19), bronchiolitis, nontuberculous mycobacteria (NTM) lung infection, COPD, and they also have a program for solid tumors (oncology). In other words, this is not a one trick pony.

NO is also known to kill viruses, but only at high concentrations (150-250PPM). Cylinders systems can’t produce NO reliably at these levels, and so competitors using the cylinder systems can’t compete with Beyond Air’s LungFit in indications beyond PPHN.

Significant Insider Buying

There’s been significant insider buying both recently and in the past. Over the last 12 months, there’s been 13 open market buys by insiders. Of the 1M shares owned by Steve Lisi, CEO, almost all of them are acquired by open market buys and he has most of his net worth in the company. The most recent purchases include a massive 350K share purchase at $5.36 by director Robert Carey on 06/17/2021. Robert knows his stuff as he previously served as Executive Vice President and Chief Business Officer at Horizon Therapeutics plc (HZNP) from March 2014 to September 2019, during which Horizon Therapeutics deployed in excess of $3.5 billion to acquire or license eight commercial products and three products in development and grew net sales from $74 million in 2013 to approximately $1.2 billion in 2018, a compound annual growth rate of 75%. The fact that he chooses to increase his position from 131,418 to 481,418 shares right before a crucial PMA decision, is certainly worth noting.

CEO Steve Lisi has also continued his buying with two recent purchases. One 25K ($5.36) share purchase on the 06/17/2021 and one as recent as just a few of days ago on 08/13/2021, 25K shares at $7.85. Since 11/11/2019, Steve has had 11 open market buys, ranging from $3.66 to $7.85, and at the same time doubling his position from 500K shares to 1M. It’s certainly interesting that he continues to buy shares this close to a possible PMA decision, and that it’s his most expensive purchase in terms of share price.

Impressive Hires

There’s been three recent hires that are noteworthy. One is the hiring of Peter Senior as Director of Business Development. The reason this hire is impressive, is that Peter joins Beyond Air after spending 26 years at Linde plc (one of XAIR main competitors) where he most recently served as the Director of Healthcare Partnerships and External Relations. In this role, Peter was responsible for expanding Linde’s healthcare portfolio after the merger with Praxair, which made Linde the largest gas company in the world. Linde has sold INOmax (Sold by MNK in the US, Beyond Air’s largest competitor) in over 20 countries outside the US over the past 15 years and recently entered the US nitric oxide market with the NOxBOXi delivery system via the Praxair merger. In other words, Peter leaves a $160 billion company (in market cap) where he worked for 26 years, and one of Beyond Air’s competitors, to join a small micro-cap company.

Two more hires of note, is the hire of Rebecca Van Doren as Head of Sales and Kori-Ann Taylor as Head of Marketing. Rebecca worked 8 years at IKARIA as a regional business director. IKARIA was the owner of INOmax before they were acquired by Mallinckrodt (MNK) in 2015. As a regional business director, Rebecca sales region was the western half of the US for INOmax. After IKARIA was acquired by MNK, she worked as the National Director of Sales and Marketing for INOmax in Australia and New Zealand. She most recently worked at Fresenius Medical Care for about 2 years before recently joining Beyond Air. But just as with Peter, Rebecca joins Beyond Air after having spent a decade working for its largest competitor.

Lastly, Kori-Ann Taylor worked for Fingerpaint from 2014-2018. While at Fingerpaint, she was the marketing account lead for the industry nitric oxide leader, under both Ikaria and Mallinckrodt Pharmaceuticals. So Kori-Ann knows the nitric oxide market and has worked with Beyond Air’s largest competitor before.

PPHN & Cardiac Surgery

Focusing on the most imminent commercial opportunity, we look at PPHN & cardiac surgery. “Pulmonary hypertension is a life-threatening syndrome from increased pulmonary vascular resistance (PVR) resulting in restricted blood flow through the pulmonary arterial circulation and ultimately in right heart failure and potentially death.” The standard of care (SOC) for PPHN has been NO since 1999, but as I’ve mentioned earlier, this is currently being administered with the cumbersome cylinder systems. The same goes for the patients requiring cardiac surgery.

Beyond Air has already submitted their premarket approval (PMA) in November of 2020, but because of COVID, there’s been significant delays at the FDA. While a 180 day review period is the norm, the company now believes they will receive the decision by the end of September, give or take a couple of weeks. Should this timeline be correct, commercial launch will be 4Q 2021. I see a high likelihood of approval, as NO is already the SOC (so no new human data trials needed), and all Beyond Air needs to prove is that the device actually produces NO and that NO can be administrated safely. In that sense, the PMA is similar to a generic ANDA and that’s a much lower hurdle to overcome. I’ve also asked the company what they view as their biggest hurdle for approval, with the CEO answering: “I have no idea what the main roadblock would be with FDA. We are confident that we can address all of their questions and complete a PMA worth approval.” They also expect to secure CE Mark in the European Union around the end of calendar year 2021; followed by ex-U.S. commercial partnership in 2022.

Mallinckrodt (MNK) had a monopoly on the PPHN & cardiac patient market from 1999 to 2019 with INOmax, when two competitors, NOxBOXi (sold by LIN) and Genosyl DS (sold by Vero Biotech, private company), entered the market. MNK Inomax sales for 2020, totaled $574M. However, with the increased competition and Beyond Air entering the market, the global PPHN & cardiac patient market size is estimated to be $600M world-wide ($300M US). Beyond Air has said they will not compete on price, but rather focus on the broader value proposition which is around eliminating the cylinders, optimizing the workflow and ultimately increasing access to nitric oxide. The business model is a razor-razorblade model, where the hospitals buys LungFit PH (the razor) once, but will have to continuously buy filters (the razorblade). They will then be charging on an hourly-basis similar to the cylinder players via the encrypted 12-hour Smart Filter, that ensures safety, protects the business model and leads to a predictable and steady revenue stream of consumables. The smart filter has an RFID chip, that ensures the device won’t work without, or with any one other filter, than Beyond Air’s filters.

The current market structure is 80% cardiac surgery and 20% PPHN. It is important to note that the NO use in cardiac surgery is off-label. So as of right now, there’s very little reimbursement risk for the company. This is most likely changing. MNK had a monopoly so they did not care about a cardiac label. However, with the introduced competition, they have stated recently that they will submit for label expansion. Vero has said the same. According to Steve Lisi, CEO, “Cardiac surgery on the label should lead to an increase in volume, but it will not be immediate as it will take time to get a proper code in place and also for hospitals to adjust their policies”. So while a possible label expansion leads to more reimbursement risk for the company, they also believe that it will lead to an increase in NO use. Once approved, Beyond Air has said they will also submit for label expansion almost immediately.

In terms of their commercialization strategy, the company is preparing for a limited release in the first 6-9 months post-launch. The rationale for doing so is that the generator is a novel device that will require proper training and support for hospital staff. The company also explains “Our team will work closely with these providers to ensure that we have optimized our logistics, customer service and product performance in the first limited release phase, so that we are confident in our ability to scale up, to meet the needs of a much broader range of customers in the planned second phase of our commercialization strategy.” In that sense it seems prudent to have a limited release phase. There’s a total of 850 NICU’s in the US today using NO, and so it’s a small hospital population to target. Hence, when MNK had a monopoly, they only employed 50-60 sales reps covering the entire US. Also, most NICU’s are on annual or multiyear contracts, ranging anywhere from 1-3 years on average. Because of that, XAIR will be targeting hospitals with less than 12 months left on their existing contracts and they anticipate it taking about four years to have a shot at every hospital that uses NO in the United States. The CEO has stated that they are aiming for 50%+ market share withing 4 years.

Respiratory therapists or RTs play an important role in the NO space. These providers are the ones directly responsible for administering inhaled NO therapy to severely-ill patients and they will be the ones using LungFit. As such, you could think of RTs as the champions or gatekeepers of NO devices being adopted by hospitals. Beyond Air has carefully designed the LungFit PH’s user interface to facilitate an easy transition from any prior device that an RT is familiar with. According to a Truist report that came out in April, they spoke to a RT who serves as the Director of Respiratory Services at a large hospital system. The RT had experience using the LungFit PRO system in COVID-19 patients and was impressed with the sophistication and ease of use of the system. The report also said that the RT believed that LungFit PH will be rapidly adopted for current uses of NO, and he was particularly impressed with the clinical work that XAIR is doing to broaden the use of NO to new indications with unmet need. Again, I have not personally spoken to this RT, it’s strictly from the Truist report. Beyond Air has numerous RTs on staff.

Nontuberculous Mycobacteria

The company has an ongoing pilot study, with interim data expected in the fall 2021 and top-line results coming in Q2 2022. This is a self-administered at-home study. The fact that patients can conduct part of this treatment at home, by themselves, is a real game-changer for this indication. There are limited treatment options for NTM, and current treatment guidelines suggest a combination of multiple antibiotics dosed chronically for as long as two years. If Beyond Air can show that LungFit helps treat this infection, it would be significant for patients. Recently, the company received a grant for $2.17 million from the Cystic Fibrosis Foundation to help fund their trial.

Beyond Air’s single arm study completed at 160 ppm NO showed a reduction in bacterial load and improvements in quality of life of patients. I think there’s a very good chance that the at-home trial data will be promising, given that they had decent data for the 13 compassionate use patients already treated. The current study is being administered at 250 ppm versus 160 ppm, and 12 weeks of therapy versus the 3 weeks done prior. Also, patients will have tracked for average severity and length of disease versus the compassionate trial which was administered to sickest patients and those that had had the disease the longest, which is much harder to treat.

NTM has a global TAM of $2.5B ($1B US), so if the studies show significant QoL improvements and/or eradicates bacteria in 20-25% of patients, Beyond Air becomes a very attractive partnership target for this indication alone. In that sense, this results in some great optionality/call option for the company.

Acute Viral Pneumonia/COVID-19 & Bronchiolitis

In May, the company presented interim data from 19 patients from their AVP trial, all of which were COVID-19 patients. Results were encouraging as we observed clinically meaningful endpoints, including a two-day mean reduction in oxygen support in NO-treated patients versus controlled, a 26-hour reduction in mean duration of hospital stay between the NO treatment group and controlled, and only 22% of subjects in the NO treated group required oxygen support beyond their hospitalization compared to 40% control subjects. The trial still remains open and the company plans on submitting additional detailed study results at a future scientific meeting. The TAM for AVP is $3B worldwide ($1.5B US).

The bronchiolitis program is currently on hold due to COVID-19. The company has already completed two double-blind, randomized, single-center, 2-arm studies. Both studies have already shown very promising results. A third pilot study also showed top line data where statistical significance were met on both the primary (time to fit-to-discharge) and secondary endpoint (hospital length of stay). The standard treatment for BRO is just O2, so using NO could be a huge improvement. The global bronchiolitis market size is $1.2B ($500M U.S).

The company is deciding on whether to pursue the AVP program or Bronchiolitis program in 4Q 2022. Both trials are using LungFit PRO. The company has expressed that whether they chose AVP or BRO will be decided based on the data and talks with the FDA. But again, this provides a call option with a significant TAM, and no/low competition for the company.

Solid Tumor/Oncology

Lastly we have their solid tumor program (oncology). This program exists outside of the LungFit platform during the ultra-high concentrations of nitric oxide that are necessary to achieve anti-tumor effects. The company is rapidly approaching submission to regulatory authorities to enter human studies. The goal is to receive regulatory approval to move into humans on the end of calendar year 2021 and subsequently begin recruiting patients in the first quarter of calendar year 2022. Results from the study in mice, show that nitric oxide as a monotherapy, convey tumor-immunity to the host after a single five-minute local administration of 50,000 parts per million using Beyond Air’s proprietary delivery system in 11 of 11 mice. It’s pretty much impossible to predict anything here, but again, a nice call option for the company.

Financials

According to the latest Q1 report, the company had $39.6M in cash. This should be more than enough to fund operations well beyond the next 12 months. However, it is likely that the company will have to do one final raise at some point. I think the CEO is hoping that this will be at much higher prices than the current share price.

Risks

There are obviously plenty of risks here. First of all, it’s a story stock. They are not generating any revenue, and they don’t even have an approved product yet. While I do feel confident in an approval, there’s obviously some regulatory risk there. If the company does see approval for their LungFit PH device then you will have commercialization/execution risk. Overall, I could see why most investors wouldn’t touch this right now.

1 Like

Legger også til denne oppdatering jeg skrev 24 Januar, 2022, så bare noen dager siden:

Last week I spoke with two major shareholders of XAIR. They had spoken to Steve recently and shared some insight with me. The largest shareholder of the two (he owns 9%+ of the company), said that Steve expressed that “best sense is this quarter given the outstanding items are apparently nothing he is concerned about.” (regarding when we should see approval), and added “they have plenty of cash and the FDA process is moving along. this will be resolved”. However, when I asked him if he had ever asked Steve why the previous deadlines were missed, he stated “I can say that I think Steve is being honest when he says that they missed the timelines that they (FDA) communicated to him.” That’s also a positive thing, as it means that XAIR didn’t mislead shareholders. But it also means that they probably shouldn’t give guidance on a approval timeline, which I think they’ve understood now. The other major shareholder told me that “Issues more around turnover of specific fda staff working on review and some new reviewers who are inexperienced. I believe XAIR is now going over their heads to upper levels.”. I don’t know if I necessarily believe that, so I’m taking it with a grain of salt.

Either way, the notion the major shareholders get from Steve is that the process is really moving along now, and that we could see approval in Q1. That’s a very soft timeline though. LOA is still 95%+.

The market cap as of writing this is about $165M. I find this extremely cheap, and here’s why; I get that they are a pre-revenue/pre-approval company, and so many investors will probably think I’m delusional. But hear me out. Back in November, BA (Beyond Air) spun off BC (Beyond Cancer). They own 80% of BC, valued at $120M. This calls for a SOTP analysis. While it’s normal to discount SOTP, I don’t think one should with BC. The reason is that this is a pre-clinical oncology company, but in a few months they will start human trials, moving them to a clinical stage onc company. That will automatically make the company more valuable, if you look at public comps (same indications, stage, etc). They will also have 1, maybe 2, human study readouts this year. Now that obviously comes with risk that the data will be bad, but it also leaves a lot of upside. They are also planning on IPO’ing by the end of 22 or early 23. So for all those reasons, I’m choosing not to discount the $120M, as I believe that number will only increase going forward.

If you then consider that $120M of the $165M market cap, is BC, you’re then paying $45M for the rest of the pipeline. That includes a device that should see approval in a matter of months (LOA 95%+), which will enter a market with only 2 competitors, using a far inferior device. It’s a tiny market in terms of the amount of hospitals having NICUs (850), and when MNK had a monopoly, they only had a salesforce of 50 people. The biggest hurdle for gaining market share for XAIR is the contracts that the NICUs are already on. Steve has also said that LungFit PH will be the most difficult device to get approved, and so the rest of the pipeline only gets easier from here. That includes indications like Bronchiolitis/APV & NTM. You get all of this for $45M right now. Crazy.

Insiders have also been buying hand over fist, at levels much higher than the current ones.

If you’re willing to have an investment horizon longer than 1 year, I think you can do very well in this name. The same can be said for plenty of other names right now too though.

1 Like

Gøy at det er flere. Jeg har dessverre lidd under sistew kursutvikling… Men har troa på kommende FDA-godkjenning!

Den siste tidens utvikling har vært brutal. Men, “heldigvis” har det sett sånn ut for hele sektoren (Biotech microcaps i USA), så er ikke noe spesifikt for XAIR.

Men som jeg skrev i det siste innlegget mitt, så syns jeg dagens prising er utrolig attraktiv, vi kommer til å få FDA-godkjenning snart, og det er jevnt med newsflow de kommende 12 månedene.

Hvor trygg føler du deg på godkjenningen?

Føler meg selv ganske sikker, men umulig å ikke bli urolig når den faller såpass. Skaper jo trygghet at Lisi kjøpte mengder på høyere nivåer.

95%+ sikker.

Dette er grunnen (som jeg skrev på Microcapclub tilbake i November):

The data is a bit dated (2017). But I haven’t been able to find clear data in recent years. I still think it’s a good indicator of what one could expect.

Here’s the resource: Premarket Approval (PMA) Process - Medical Device Safety

I’ll add an excerpt from the article that is particularly interesting imo.

“But as rigorous as the process is considered, manufacturers virtually always get the green light if they get over the first hurdle of persuading the FDA to accept and file their applications. According to one analysis, nearly every premarket approval application accepted by the agency in 2015 was granted — a 98 percent rate. As of March 2017, the rate was 100 percent, according to FDA data.”

And as we know, the FDA has accepted XAIR’s filing. In fact, they are in the last step of the process with facility inspections ongoing. This suggests to me that the LOA is very high. I think this fact is possibly ignored or misunderstood by the market.

I spoke briefly to Maria (company’s IR person) on Friday, and she told me the company did not anticipate needing an AdComm meeting either, which is sometimes needed in situations where the device is brand new. I was quite surprised to hear this, but a pleasant surprise. As explained in the write-up, NO has been the SOC for PPHN, so even though LungFit is a brand new device, because of the established SOC, XAIR does not anticipate an AdComm, according to Maria.

1 Like

Spennende. Takk for informasjonen!

@gabster - Vet du noe mer om approval? Jeg klarer ikke finne noe mer informasjon enn jeg har hatt tidligere.

Nei dessverre. Alt står på FDA og når de får ut fingern… Vi kan ende opp med å få FDA og CE mark på likt, og det er jo ganske sykt mtp for mye før de filet for FDA godkjennelse.

1 Like

Takk for svar. Post gjerne om du finer mer informasjon! Hva tror du det har å si for kursen? Og hva tenker du etter approval, sittende videre eller selge deg ut? :blush:

Nytt innside kjøp meldt i går, det er godt å se!

På grunn av dagens makroklima er det vanskelig å spå kursen ved godkjennelse, dessverre. Før Desember 2021 hadde jeg nok sagt kursen kunne nå $20+ ved godkjennelse. Nå tror jeg kanskje den blir liggende i $12-14 sjiktet. Hvem vet.

Jeg har en alt for stor posisjon, så selger nok en del ved godkjenning som jeg håper på å kjøpe tilbake etterhvert. Blir også litt nyhetstørke etter 1H2022.

1 Like

Endelig :partying_face:

Dette er bare starten, etter min mening hehe.

1 Like

Forstått det riktig som at dataen som kom nå var good for covid pasienter? Eller gjelder det safety på produktet?

God safety og efficacy! Men den var ikke powered for efficacy, så de må kjøre en pivotal trial.

1 Like

Hva betyr det at den ikke er powerd for efficacy? Beklager om jeg spør dumt.

Beklager sent svar, er ikke så ofte inne her.

Men powered har med størrelsen på studien å gjøre. Du kan få en detaljert forklaring her hvis det er av interesse: Statistical Significance and Clinical Relevance: The Importance of Power in Clinical Trials in Dermatology | Dermatology | JAMA Dermatology | JAMA Network

Skrev nettopp dette om selskapet og litt nylig M&A action på MCC:

This is not an apples to apples comparison, but I thought it was worth mentioning.

On April 7th, it was announced that Pfizer had entered into a definitive agreement under which Pfizer will acquire ReViral, a privately held, clinical-stage biopharmaceutical company focused on discovering, developing, and commercializing novel antiviral therapeutics that target respiratory syncytial virus (RSV). Under the terms of the agreement, Pfizer will acquire ReViral for a total consideration of up to $525 million , including upfront and development milestones. PR: Pfizer to Acquire ReViral and Its Respiratory Syncytial Virus Therapeutic Candidates

So why is this relevant? Well ReViral is a company focusing on antiviral therapies and more specifically, they are developing an orally administered RSV Fusion inhibitor for the treatment of Respiratory Syncytial Virus (RSV).

Let’s look at RSV for a second. It affects 64M people annually, 160K deaths, responsible for 1/5 of all lower respiratory tract infections and there’s zero approved therapies for adults. On a more specific level RSV characteristics include:

• Highly Seasonal virus: prevalent during autumn/winter seasons.
  • High infection rate: RSV can be transmitted through respiratory secretions via close contact with infected individuals, through droplets, or through contaminated surfaces.
  • Wide spectrum of associated illnesses: Ascending from mild upper respiratory tract illness to airway inflammation, bronchiolitis, pneumonia, and ultimately, life-threatening respiratory failure.

Disease progression usually goes from severe cold-like symptoms → upper respiratory tract infection → lower respiratory tract infection → pneumonia → respiratory failure
According to the acquisition PR, Pfizer believes ReViral has the potential to reach $1.5B in revenue annually.

So why is this relevant to XAIR? Well, much like ReViral, they are a company focused on respiratory diseases. They are developing a device that is using NO which as been shown to have antiviral properties. Their indications BRO/AVP and NTM has very similar profiles to RSV (no approved treatment, high infection rate, terrible outcomes etc), but with a much larger TAM between the two ($6.8B world wide). ReViral only has one candidate (Sisunatovir) who are in the clinical stage (phase 2). XAIR has PPHN which should (hopefully) be approved soon, and both BRO/AVP and NTM are now entering their pivotal study, having shown significant improvements in the studies done so far (it remains to be seen what NTM looks like as it’s being presented in May, but if that study shows any sign of reduction in bacterial load it’s huge for the co).

To summarize, this is not an apples to apples comparison, but you have two antiviral respiratory focused companies. One of them has one candidate in clinical trials and is being bought for $525M. The other one has 1 approval imminent, 3 indications in clinical trials (2 pivotal), 1 pre-clinical, and 80% ownership in a soon to be clinical stage cancer company valued at $150M at the time of the spinoff + around $80M in cash. “The other” company (BA) is currently valued at $184M…

1 Like

Vet du hva som har skjedd idag mtp oppgangen?